Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Many Excuses of Moses

First Reading: Ex 3:13-20
Psalm: Ps 105:1, 5, 8-9, 24-27 -- The Lord remembers his covenant for ever
Gospel: Mt 11:28-30

Friends,

Another experiment today with the format. I'm going a bit beyond the reading for the day too, but it was too good to pass up.

Today, we will look at Moses' first conversation with the Lord. We should reflect on how many of these we try to use ourselves every day when speaking to God.

#1 - I'm not anyone important! How can I stand up to them/that? They're too big/powerful!
But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and lead the Israelites out of Egypt?" He answered, "I will be with you; and this shall be your proof that it is I who have sent you: when you bring my people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this very mountain." (Ex. 3:11-12)
God is always bigger than the problems we are facing. If we are following him, then, naturally, he will be with us.

#2 - They might not believe in God. What authority can I appeal to when I speak to them?
"But," said Moses to God, "when I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' if they ask me, 'What is his name?' what am I to tell them?" God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you." (Ex. 3:13-14).
You are being sent by the One Lord. If you know this, and will tell others when they ask by what authority you are speaking, then you continue in your task. You have done your part and trust Him Who Is to do his part.

#3 - The other faithful will not believe me! They won't listen to me!
"But," objected Moses, "suppose they will not believe me, nor listen to my plea? For they may say, 'The LORD did not appear to you.'" The LORD then said, "Throw [your staff] on the ground." When he threw it on the ground it was changed into a serpent, and Moses shied away from it. (Ex. 3:1,3)
God would not send us on a hopeless task. Some will listen. For others, signs will be worked through you that others might come to accept his message. Still others will not follow, regardless of signs. Do not be concerned about them; if they would not listen to you, they would not listen to Him.

#4 - I don't know what to tell them! I'm afraid to speak to others that know more! I can't give speeches (or lead, or organize, or...)!
Moses, however, said to the LORD, "If you please, LORD, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past, nor recently, nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue." The LORD said to him, "Who gives one man speech and makes another deaf and dumb? Or who gives sight to one and makes another blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Go, then! It is I who will assist you in speaking and will teach you what you are to say." (Ex. 3:10-12).
God made us. He knows quite well what we are capable of doing, even if we are unsure of ourselves. Trust that he has called you for his own reasons and that you are the person for the job. If we need more, He will be with us to give us what we need, when we need it.

#5 - If you please, Lord, send someone else! (Ex. 3:13)
God did not call you because you were smart, powerful, good-looking, eloquent, close to the issue or a particularly good person. At least, none of those, or countless other reasons, need have anything to do with it. It is not our place to ask why we are chosen, it is only our place to do it. If ever you feel the need to question His reasons, read Job, chapters 38 and 39.
Will we have arguing with the Almighty by the critic? Let him who would correct God give answer! (Job 40:2)

Heavenly Father, we thank you for the gift of this day. Thank you for sending your prophets and messengers to convey your will for us. Lord, grant us wisdom, that we might recognize your messengers when they are sent. If we, ourselves, are being called to a task, give us the courage to do it in faith and love. We ask all of this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment