Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Lord's Prayer

First Reading: 2 Cor 11:1-11
Psalm: Ps 111:1b-4, 7-8 -- Your works, O Lord, are justice and truth
Gospel: Mt 6:7-15

Friends,

I'm going to try something a little different today, as our reading is the best-known prayer in all of Christendom.

Our Father
- But go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' - John 20:17b

who art in Heaven,
- But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God's throne - Matthew 5:34

hallowed be thy name,
- The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. - Luke 1:49

thy Kingdom come,
- From that time on, Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." - Matthew 4:17

thy will be done,
- The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD! - Job 1:21b

on earth as it is in heaven.
- Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, everything in the universe, cry out: "To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor, glory and might, forever and ever." - Revelation 5:13

Give us this day our daily bread,
- He said in reply, "It is written: 'One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.'" - Matthew 4:4

and forgive us our trespasses,
- He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." - Luke 7:48

as we forgive those who trespass against us;
- When you stand to pray, forgive anyone against whom you have a grievance, so that your heavenly Father may in turn forgive you your transgressions. - Mark 11:25

and lead us not into temptation,
- No one experiencing temptation should say, "I am being tempted by God"; for God is not subject to temptation to evil, and he himself tempts no one. - James 1:7

but deliver us from evil.
- They will fight against you, but not prevail over you, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD. - Jeremiah 1:19

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of this day. We thank you for teaching us how we are to pray. May our lives be a prayer to you and give glory to your holy name. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This was a wonderful way to make the "Our Father" seem even more powerful and also understand the power in that prayer. We should not say this prayer lightly. It has always been a special prayer for me during Mass, I can feel the presence of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit when I pray radiating to others that I am holding hands with. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete